It’s been an exceptionally quiet month @ Wildilocks, as we have mostly just been sending out mail orders and making masks! But now the month is soon to be over…
We suspended appointments from 23rd March and have been monitoring the Covid19 situation very closely. Fortunately Victoria is doing very well in lowering numbers of new infections, and given we are still permitted to trade (a situation in the early weeks we were not confident would remain the case given nearly all countries that have locked down have not allowed hairdressers to trade), we are now planning to accept appointments again from May 1st as long as the risk remains extremely low and our clients take our required extra steps to reduce risk beyond the standards set by the Australian government. Our personal benchmark of health and safety practises are well beyond those legally required, and we believe minimise risk significantly and follow practises in countries that are managing covid19 most effectively.
To be accepted to book an appointment from May 1st you must:
- Confirm the number of people in your isolation “bubble”, describe how strictly you are self-isolating and what practises you are following to mitigate your risk
- Confirm you are working from home (generally we are not considering accepting appointments currently from people in essential services, though some exceptions may be made for lower risk professions on a case-by-case basis).
- Confirm you and any bubble buddies have been wearing a mask or face covering (eg bandana) in public for any visits to allowed businesses for at least last 7 days before your appointment. This does not include exercising outside as long as following required social distancing rules.
- Confirm neither yourself, nor any of your bubble buddies have been ill within the last 14 days
- Wear a mask for your entire appointment. We will provide a disposable one for you free of charge if you do not have one, but recommend buying one of our washable & reusable ones if not so you can have something more sustainable for future use: we strongly believe in the highest level of personal responsibility, and Germany has just announced they will require masks to be worn as they start to relax some restrictions) and you will be required to sanitise your hands on arrival and on leaving. We have just had stock arrive of the most amazing hand sanitiser which we will be using and also selling in purse size packs – scented with organic rose geranium essential oil, you’ll want to carry this with you everywhere just because of how lovely it smells.
- Be willing to have your temperature taken with a non-contact temperature scanner with the understanding that if you are running a fever on arrival we will not be able to proceed with your appointment.
- Confirm you will use your own bathroom before attending your appointment as our bathroom will be closed to customers during the Covid19 crisis to minimise risk of spreading infection.
- Understand that we cannot serve our usually lovely teas and coffees and snacks, as we require a mask to be worn the entire time you are present in the salon, no exceptions for any reason. However you are VERY welcome to purchase snacks to take home!
- Agree not to bring any other persons to your appointment with you, as we are only allowing one stylist and one client in the salon at any time, to minimise risk of exposure.
This list of conditions may seem extreme – especially the one about required mask use of anyone in your bubble for 7 days before your appointment – but we to take the situation with Covid19 incredibly seriously, and believe that mask use should be mandatory globally until a vaccine or proven treatment is available, and is the best and simplest measure we can take when coming anywhere near others not in our bubble. The choice to even consider seeing clients again is one that has been difficult to approach ethically, but on long reflection we realised that we could potentially make a stronger impact by providing a “carrot” to our clients – we will be very happy to do your hair, and we want all clients to feel safe, and also to not feel as they are being irresponsible choosing to get their hair done – and we feel that the best path forward for us all is to encourage our clients to make a commitment to protecting our community together with us. This has twin benefits of having potentially measurable impact on the spread of the virus, and give you the opportunity to feel good about your personal actions.
We are also very aware that our industry has a unique role and want to acknowledge the importance of mental health and the difficulties of self isolation, especially for those living alone. We know that the more extended contact we need to have to do our job does have risks, but it also has many benefits for mental health even during normal times, and they are even more important now. Not being touched in any way for weeks or months can be deeply distressing. By making our services available only under the strictest of of rules well beyond those required by our government, we can feel confident that we offer those important mitigations of suffering and an element of normality with the most minimal risk possible.
We will be contacting clients that have had appointments deferred since salon suspension, but understand some may prefer to remain deferred until lockdown is formally lifted or even the pandemic declared over (though this may be some time away!) We are looking forward to seeing those of you happy to commit to our new community-protection standards – in the meantime, stay home and stay safe!
Cass @ Wildilocks